Skin Treatment Hierarchy: Which treatments to do first
When it comes to looking after your skin, nothing is truer than the saying that “great skincare begins at home”.
When it comes to looking after your skin, nothing is truer than the saying that “great skincare begins at home”. While professional treatments should also be included in the skincare treatment hierarchy list, the results will be short-lasting or—even worse—not live up to their full potential, unless you back this up with a tip-top at-home regime as well.
Understanding Skincare Treatments.
- The holy grail of skincare treatments
- Sun protection is king
- Targeted, professional treatments
The holy grail of skincare treatments.
So let’s detail the five steps that make up the skin treatment hierarchy, with the most important at the top.
- Sun protection: While it might not be the most glamorous of treatments, if you don’t protect your skin from UV rays, then—no matter what you do—accelerated aging will occur.
- Moisture: We all know that we need to moisturize, right? But it’s not as simple as simply picking one that’s formulated for your skin and away you go… As technology has advanced, we’re not able to not only classify skin type, but we can also determine genetic factors and lifestyle influences that determine how we target naturally depleting levels of moisture as we age.
- Cleanse: All skin needs cleansing. But the products we use to do so are ultra-important. Harsh chemicals, scrubs, and highly fragranced cleansers are bad for all skin types. The key to cleansing is softly-softly… In other words, we need to use gentle products that are formulated for our specific skin type.
- Hydration: No, hydration isn’t the same as moisturizing. We all need to add moisture, but this doesn’t actually hydrate the lower layers of the skin’s structure. Using techniques and products that deliver moisture deep below the upper layers is a crucial step of great skincare. This can be done using topical products and those that delve deep beneath the surface. And this brings us neatly onto…
- Targeted treatments: From fillers to microneedling and everything in between, partnering with a great skincare professional comes at the very top of our skincare hierarchy triangle.
You may be surprised about the order of these steps. However, no matter what your skin issue (premature aging, acne, hyperpigmentation, etc.), without starting at the bottom and working up, no amount of skincare treatments will ever have the desired effect without a good base to start from.
Sun protection is king
Sorry to bang on about it, but sun protection is absolutely the most vital element of all. Applying sun protection every single day (yes, even when it’s cloudy and/or cold) should be at the top of every skincare regime.
Targeted, professional treatments
You’re in control of the first four elements of your skin treatment. Get that right and then, when you seek professional care from a skincare expert, you’re giving them the best canvas on which to work.
Your clinician can also advise on the right products for your skin to ensure the basic elements of your regime are powerful and effective. Then, adding in the correct targeted treatments is the icing on the cake that will bring the aesthetically pleasing results that you so desire.
Contact Bayou City Dermatology Today for the Ultimate Skincare Treatments
Discover more about our wide portfolio of advanced skincare treatments that can perfectly complement your at-home skin care. Plus, when you visit Bayou City Dermatology, your clinician will also advise and assist by defining exactly what you should be doing at home to ensure your body beautiful remains soft and youthful, no matter how many years pass by.
Head across to https://www.bayoucitydermatology.com/services to discover the wonderful range of treatments on offer.